MASTER OF LEADERSHIP AND MINISTRY
AVAILABLE IN ENGLISH AND BILINGUAL SPANISH
The Master of Leadership and Ministry (MLM) is a 45-credit professional studies degree, equipping ministers to become life-long learners and to develop models of personal and professional growth. It can be done online or on campus. The program prepares participants for vocational ministries in the Church. Those with limited experience in ministry leadership are encouraged to take at least one practicum as part of their electives.
A bilingual Spanish cohort option is available for those interested in a combined Spanish and English program of study. For more information about the bilinqual Spanish cohort, please contact our AGTS Enrollment Coordinator, Efrain Figueroa at 417.865.2815 or FigueroaE@evangel.edu. Read the AGTS brochure in Spanish.
MLM Program Overview
See the AGTS Catalog for the specific courses in each category.
- Bible/Theology Core – 9 credits
- Foundations Core – 15 credits
- Ministry Core – 12 credits
- Practical Theology Electives – 9 credits
- Total – 45 credits
Degree Components and Requirements
The MLM can be completed by any student regardless of the field of their undergraduate degree. Applicants with a strong undergraduate program in religion may petition for Advanced Standing in the program, which could allow them to complete the program with 36 credits or approximately three semesters of study.
For some courses successfully completed as an undergraduate, a student may substitute an advanced course. The faculty advisor will be helpful in facilitating this possibility with the student.
The AGTS MLM may be completed through a variety of venues and modalities. The program may be completed in its entirety online or in seated courses on the Springfield campus.
AGTS offers online learning experiences that provide students the opportunity to earn credits toward their degree programs without traveling to any of the course locations. All online courses provide faculty-to-student and student-to-student interaction through the Course Commons (Canvas) learning management system.
MLM Advanced Standing
Students who have earned a significant number of credits in religious studies from approved colleges and universities may request exemption from certain required courses in the MLM degree program (see the Bible/Theology Core above), thus granting them Advanced Standing. Life experience does not qualify for Advanced Standing.
The following rules apply to MLM Advanced Standing:
- Advanced Standing cannot exceed nine credits.
- Advanced Standing is considered for undergraduate courses with satisfactory parallel content, provided the equivalent collegiate courses are double the credit value of the seminary’s courses. A minimum grade of B is required and the student must be able to demonstrate competency in subject matter by presentation of an Advanced Standing Portfolio for each course for which advanced standing is desired. A fee of $50 per course will be charged for each portfolio that is evaluated, regardless of whether or not the advanced standing is granted.
- Advanced Standing must be requested prior to enrollment but no later than the end of the student’s first semester of study at AGTS. Requests should be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.
- Partial course advanced standing will not be granted.
- If the student later takes a course where advanced standing has been granted, the advanced standing would be nullified.
- In an area where a student demonstrates competency but the criteria preclude Advanced Standing, a substitute course may be allowed if approved by the faculty adviser and the Dean.
All AGTS master students must complete their degree programs within a 10-year time limit, which includes any undergraduate courses used for Advanced Standing and any graduate courses transferred in from other schools.